February 16, 2010

Analyzing Movies

For some reason I do not heavily enjoy analyzing movies, especially seemingly innocent movies. I think that movies are for enjoyment and while we should be conscious about what the movie is saying and the ideals and stereotyping it is portraying, we should not overanalyze every single movie ever. Overanalyzing things really makes people crazy, just like reading essays about people over analyzing things.......(ahhhhh)! Not all movies are meant to be deciphered by everyone to the extreme.

The first piece about I, Robot was annoying at best. I understood the message that we should be aware of the things being thrown at us at a time while we let our guard down, but the man's job in the story really seemed tedious and like it really takes the fun out of watching movies. I believe that some movies are worthy of being deciphered such as Fight Club or V for Vendetta but not every single thing that is on the tv screen, its just not worth it. I personally think that analyzing I, Robot is a huge waste of time. I enjoyed the movie and I didn't see it as having hidden messages or anything, I just watched it as pleasure. Maybe I didn't have the analyzing eye when I watched the movie, but I mean honestly, the movie really isn't a big deal. The author seriously needs to calm down and redirect his efforts elsewhere. Some movies are interesting to decipher, such as Star Wars.

The second piece written by a student was interesting and thought provoking because it covered a broad slate of topics. I liked the connections between the movie and American behavior and ideology. I really enjoyed the Western and communism references. I always just watched Star Wars as a cool movie, but when someone compared it to other real world things, it really made me think. 

Analyzing movies lies all in the movie in which the person is analyzing. One must ask himself if what he is doing is worth the effort, in the case of the I, Robot piece, it was most definitely not, while the Star Wars piece was good. 

-Bluey

P.S. Man from I, Robot piece: Get a new job sir

No comments:

Post a Comment