February 6, 2010

Random, Redundant, Righteous

I think I have to start this blog with saying that the selections were nothing terrific....to put it in a nicely. The reading I kind of thought connected with me the most was the Why do the black kids sit together in the cafeteria. I've seen multiple videos and read different pieces in various classes throughout my education much about this same topic, why ethnicities group together. I myself being Indian did used to hang out with Indian kids back in middle school. I wouldn't say that they were my only group of friends but they were all Indian. I guess I hung out with them because they could relate to some things, which is what the book was talking about. I could say a joke and they would understand it and laugh, which was nice. Later I hung out with a group of black kids, while I was one of three kids who weren't black out of like eight or nine. The example in the book that was used was that a black girl in a mostly white neighborhood would hang out with other black girls because they could relate to what they were going through given the circumstances while the white girls couldn't. It made perfect sense, I never really actually cared enough to understand why it happened. It's not hard to understand, people stick to what they know and people they can relate to; it's the basic rule of relationships.
Most people I know, including myself had their first boyfriend or girlfriend the same ethnicity as them. It kind of makes sense, especially if they're parents kind of brought them up thinking that thats the type of person they should go after. After time though people develop their own type of person they like. When you're young its weird because I guess you don't even really think about who you're attracted to it just happens, and it's weird that we look for  people similar to us. 

The other article I found mildly interesting was the one about the Palestinian American playwright. All I have really to say about that piece is that she had alot of courage to do some of the things that she did around the time she did them. Also she appealed to me with the argument she was making about the detainees held without trial and stuff like that. The biggest problem I had with that piece however was the way she emphasized that she went to Yale and Harvard. It was impressive when she first said it but some places I feel like she really didn't need to include it like when she was saying that she was at graduate school she didn't write any pieces about Palestinian Americans or whatever, she randomly just stuck in Yale school of drama. It really didnt matter where she went. It was annoying that she stuck it in more than once and it was kind of distracting and made me angry. I lost interest in what she was saying. I guess that she needed to keep bringing it up to justify herself as a well to do minority in America. But to be perfectly honest, I really don't care. She annoys me. 


-BLUEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment